Thursday, January 4, 2007

God on the blog

A perusal of my blogger profile would indicate that I'm interested in all sorts of stuff. If you're too lazy to check, they range from astronomy and history to Biblical criticism, to Israel to energy policy. I'm still grappling with whether I should keep the subject of this blog narrowly focused, which some might find less confusing, or broadbased, which would be a better reflection of me.

In my initial wanderings in this strange landscape I've been drawn instinctively to the fascinating blogs of anonymous (generally nonbelieving) hasidim who cathartically use bloggery to express themselves profoundly and hilariously, providing a window both into their daily lives and turbulent souls and minds. The existence of god is a recurring theme, theological arguments with rabbis are reported, and wonderful discussions carried on through the days and weeks. Many of these great blogs have been posted along the right. There's also a fun argument for and against god's existence between Sam Harris and Dennis Prager on Jewlicious.com.

Today, I managed to shock the guy I drive up with (a Flatbush frummie), when I referred to Tanaim and Amoraim (the rabbis mentioned in the Talmud) as reform rabbis. Let's face it, I told him, the laws they designed have little to nothing in common with the laws of the Torah.

No comments: